Outpatient consultation for a second opinion
(by appointment only)
Objective of outpatient consultation for a second opinion
The objective of a second opinion is to provide opinions and determination of the specialists at this hospital in regards to the details of diagnosis and treatment for patients who are undergoing medical care from doctors outside this hospital based on the documents provided from the attending physician on diagnosis and treatment, so that the patient may refer to the opinions and determinations given for future treatments.
Subject of a second opinion consultation
The subject of a second opinion must be the patients themselves, in principle.
If a person other than the patients wish to undergo second opinion consultation, the “consent form for consultation” and personal identification documents (driver’s license, etc.) are required from the person undergoing the consultation.
If a person undergoing the consultation is a minor, documents that verifies the relationship (health insurance card, etc.) are required for the consultation.
Details of the consultation
A second opinion provides the opinions and determination for future treatments. Since this is not a medical consultation for diagnosis, examinations and treatments (administration of medication and other treatments) will not be carried out.
We assume that you will continue to see the referring doctor for treatment after the second opinion.
Also, a second opinion provides opinions and determination for future treatments, therefore the treatments conducted previously are not included in this consultation. Depending on the details of the consultation, it may be more appropriate for you to seek general outpatient care rather than a second opinion (e.g., transfer to another hospital). In such a case, we may ask you to seek general outpatient care. (In the case of general outpatient care, you will be required to visit the hospitals on a different day from the second opinion consultation). )
Items not considered suitable for the consultation
- Dissatisfaction with the attending physician, request for a hospital transfer, matters related to medical accidents
- Matters relating to the details of medical care fees and benefits
Matters that do not relate directly to treatment, such as issues of a medical lawsuit
- Clinical departments and doctors who can be consulted
Clinical departments and doctors who can be consulted
We accept consultations for all clinical departments.
You will be able to consult excellent doctors with specialist knowledge in the applicable disorders.
Doctors in charge of a second opinion must have sufficient experience to respond to the details consulted. With consideration for this, the doctor for second opinion will be the head of the clinical department or a specialist doctor appointed by the head of clinical department. The doctor in charge will be determined by the head of each clinical treatment with consideration for the area of expertise.
Special room for the consultation and attendance of the nurse
You will be attending the consultation in a room allocated especially for outpatient second patient consultation.
A nurse will be attending all consultations as a third party for any consultation after the second opinion. Please feel free to consult the nurse if any matters arise.
Consultation period and fee
Please be advised that the second opinion is treated as uncovered treatment (treatment at the patient’s own expense) and therefore is not covered by health insurance.
The consultation is one hour per consultation, in principle, and the fee is 21,600 yen per one hour consultation (tax inclusive).
If the consultation exceeds one hour, the additional fee of 10,800 yen will be charged for every 30 minutes.
We ask for the patient’s signature for confirmation of the consultation period.
If the consultation extends over two days (depending on the details of the consultation), we ask you to pay for one consultation (one day) in principle.
However, if the details of the consultation are considered clearly separate matters, we may charge you for two consultations. We ask for your understanding on this matter.
Also, pathological diagnosis by a pathologist or diagnostic imaging by a radiologist may be required depending on the details of the consultation; however, no additional fee will be charged for these. These will be included in the consultation fee.
Flow of events from application to consultation
- A second opinion is by appointment only. Please contact reception counter 7 (outpatient second opinion counter) of Medical Care Networking Center.
Hours of reception: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Reception telephone: +81-55-273-9872
- The staff in charge of outpatient consultations for second opinions will ask you the details of the consultation, then explain the procedures required and send you the following documents:
(1) Information on the outpatient consultation for the second opinion
(2) Application form for outpatient second opinion consultation
(3) Request for the attending physician
(4) Special information form for the medical information for the outpatient second opinion consultation
(5) Consent form for the outpatient second opinion consultation
- Please send the (2) “application form for the outpatient second opinion consultation” to the staff in charge of outpatient second opinion consultation by post or fax.
Postal address and fax number
1110 Shimokato, Chuo-shi, Yamanashi Japan
Outpatient Second Opinion Consultation, The University of Yamanashi Hospital Fax +81-55-273-9879
- The staff in charge of the outpatient second opinion consultation will discuss with the applicable specialist doctor at the hospital based on the “application form for the outpatient second opinion consultation” and notify you of the date of the consultation. Following this, the “appointment slip and consultation slip for outpatient second opinion consultation” will be sent to you.
- Prior to the date of the consultation, please give the (3) “request for the attending physician” to the attending physician at your current hospital/clinic, and ask to prepare the (4) “special information form for the medical information for outpatient second opinion consultation” then ask for the examination documents, etc.
- On the day of the consultation, you will be visiting the Information section of the hospital entrance hall. Please proceed to reception and present the “appointment slip and consultation slip for the outpatient second opinion consultation” sent to you, as well as the “consent form for the outpatient second opinion consultation” (if the person consulting is not the patient) and the “personal identification documents” (if the person consulting is not the patient). We will direct you to the room for the consultation.
- Consultations will be carried out in the consultation room specially allocated for the outpatient second opinion consultation. The hospital nurse will attend the consultation to respond to any concerns after the consultation.
- After the consultation is finished, we ask you to wait for about 15 minutes, and the consulting doctor will give you two copies of the “result report for outpatient second opinion consultation. “Please give one copy to your attending physician at the current hospital/clinic. We will also ask your cooperation in sig
- After the consultation is finished, you will be required to see the “cashier counter 4″ and make payment at “payment counter 5.” Also, if you have made an appointment for another consultation, please receive the “appointment slip and consultation slip for the outpatient second opinion consultation” for the next appointment at “cashier counter 4.” Please bring this slip to the next appointment and present it at the reception counter. ning a signature of confirmation for the consultation period.
Items required on the day of the consultation
- Appointment slips and consultation slips for the outpatient second opinion consultation (issued by this hospital)
- Special information form for the medical information for the outpatient second opinion consultation
- Consent form for the consultation (format may be arbitrary)and personal identification documents (driver’s license, etc.)
(If the person receiving the consultation is not the patient, the “consent form for the consultation” and personal identification documents (driver’s license, etc.) will be required. However, if a person undergoing consultation is a minor, documents that verify the relationship (health insurance card, etc.) are required for the consultation, and the “consent form” will not be required. )
- Documents required for the consultation X-ray films, results of ECG, results of blood test, results of ultrasound examination, pathology report, etc.
If you wish to undergo second opinion at another hospital
If a patient who is visiting this hospital wishes to undergo a second opinion at another hospital, please consult the attending physician. Documents will be prepared for you.